Situated at the western edge of the coastal town of Musselburgh, some 5 miles to the east Edinburgh City Centre, Brunton Theatre is located within Brunton Hall, a municipal owned by East Lothian Council. This modern theatre has a 296-seat capacity and each seat has a clear view of the stage.
Read more (+)
This fully accessible medium-sized theatre stages a wide range of performances that appeal to everyone, including drama, dance, music, comedy, film, children's theatre, musicals and community productions. Performances are produced in partnership with various performing arts groups, including the resident Catherine Wheels Theatre Company who has worked in association with The Brunton Theatre since 2002.
The Theatre is named in honour of Mr John D Brunton, son of Brunton Wireworks founder, who donated a bequest of £700,000 to the people of Musselburgh prior to his death in 1951. He specifically requested that his donation should be utilised to construct a purpose-built hall for the community.
In 1971, the late Brunton's request turned into reality when Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother opened Brunton Hall. The building is an example of early 1970s civic architecture.
In recent years, The Brunton Theatre was fully upgraded and re-opened in 1997 thanks to generous funding from the local council, Scottish Arts Council and The European Regional Development Fund. The theatre has enhanced accessibility with new a new audio description booth, lift and wheelchair gallery. The theatre bar and restaurant is another new addition offering an extensive pre-theatre menu on performance nights and a place for patrons to relax and socialise in pleasant surroundings.